Monivea Castle was built c1600 by the O'Kelly clan. Patrick Fitzrobert
French, purchased Monivea Castle and estate in 1609 from John Crosach O'Kelly.
The Monivea Wood is widely regarded as being one of the most interesting,
diverse and sensitive parts of East County Galway. Lady Kathleen Ffrench left Monivea to
the people of Monivea and the nation in 1938. She stated the 400 acres of beech
woodland would be left "until the trees rot in the ground".
Ffrench Mausoleum and Chapel is located in Monivea Wood.
Robert and Kathleen Ffrench’s remains are contained in a
crypt in the mausoleum basement.
Abbeyknockmoy Cistercian Abbey
Abbeyknockmoy is the location of the ruins of a Cistercian Abbey of Knockmoy.
Founded by Cathal Crovdearg O Connor, who was buried there in 1244.